Hardie St Reserve. The plaque is among
the camellias on the right.
In 2005, the
Manawatu Branch of the Historic Places Trust worked with the Camellia
Society and other community groups on a project supported by the Council to
beautify the space. A plaque commemorating 50 years of NZHPT and recording
the names of the supporting groups, including Palmerston North City Council,
was placed among extensive plantings of camellias. Like other societies we
made a financial contribution to the planting on the basis of providing a
‘public good’. The Council argued also that there are ample other reserves
in the area, including Centennial Drive and the Esplanade. However, this
small park is part of the historical development of Hokowhitu.
area of Hardie, Collingwood, Jickell and Hughes Streets etc was initially
Council leasehold land which was part of a borough reserve set aside in 1876
to be developed as a public park, recreation ground and botanic gardens.
It has been progressively freeholded. This park is one of the reserve
contributions required in the subdivision of the 1950s, set aside for the
use of the community.